We all have our ‘bad skin days’ – especially at this time of year when a combination of harsh winds and central heating can play havoc with the complexion. Here’s a handful of simple tips to improve things if you’re not keen on what the mirror is reflecting back.
1. Concealer is only half the battle when it comes to fixing flaws. To perfect your complexion, no matter what the skin tone, try using lipstick in a warm pink, which will brighten things up and distract from blemishes and other imperfections.
2. Trying to look well rested when you aren’t? Avoid piling on the foundation, and use a tinted moisturiser instead, followed by a beige eye pencil to counteract any redness around your eyes.
3. Large pores are caused by two things: genetics and age. To shrink them you could consider going to a dermatologist or spa to get micro-dermabrasion treatments, a type of facial that gently sloughs off the dead surface layer of skin.
4. When covering up blemishes, select a colour according to what you want to conceal. For example, orange-tinged concealers counteract blueish under-eye circles, while a green concealer hides redness. The idea is that concealers act as neutralisers.
5. Even if you didn’t get enough sleep last night, nothing wakes up a face like bright cheek colour. Consider a cream blush with red or pink overtones, and then blend and taper it into the apples of your cheeks and set with loose powder.